Taylor aims to provide exemplary and cost effective legal services to every client he is privileged to represent. Prior to moving to Newport Beach, Taylor worked for a boutique construction law firm and a prestigious maritime law firm in Houston, Texas. During his career, Taylor has focused his practice on complex litigation related to the maritime industry, offshore oil and gas industry, trucking, real estate, and construction. Outside of his law practice, Taylor is an outdoor enthusiast and former college rugby player.
Taylor has advised clients on a number of admiralty and maritime related matters and is registered as conflicts counsel for several P&I Clubs within the ports of Long Beach and Los Angeles. His experience primarily consists of litigation and arbitration in connection with the representation of vessel owners, charterers, managers, operators, P&I clubs and other insurers in all manner of marine casualty losses and disputes.
Taylor's practice experience includes the gambit of admiralty law related to claims arising out of maritime collisions, allisions, cargo damage/loss, charter party disputes, pollution incidents, and personal injury and wrongful death claims involving crew members, Jones Act seaman and stevedores. By way of example, Taylor has handled the following matters:
- Determine the scope of a London arbitration agreement and the choice of law provisions embedded in third party contracts for purposes of determining the appropriate forum for dispute resolution to proceed
- Federal court lawsuit arising out of chemical tanker allision in the Houston Ship Channel, wherein thousands of claimants appeared after the filing of the limitation of liability action
- Draft pleadings related to time charter disputes involving deficient bunker fuel
- Prepare statement of claim for arbitration arising out of time and materials contract wherein respondent sought to recover over one-million dollars, plus fees
Taylor also appreciates the around the clock nature of the marine industry, having conducted numerous emergency responses and incident investigations at all hours of the day and night. Taylor has facilitated the response to federal and local agency investigations in numerous casualty events, including:
- United States Coast Guard and National Transportation Safety Board casualty investigation related to a collision involving a chemical tanker and shrimp boat near Galveston, Texas
- OSHA investigation related to a stevedore injury involving the manifold during cargo operations
- Multinational investigation into crew member incident while the vessel was located within international waters
- Surge incident resulting in mooring line stevedore injury
- Stevedore injury arising from gangway accident
- Various investigations related to dock and terminal damage, and off-specification cargo issues
- Release of liquid cargo from a chemical tanker creating a sheen in the water
Prior to becoming an attorney Taylor worked briefly as a construction materials technician for a geotechnical services company. As such, Taylor understands the industry from the ground up. During his legal career he has represented clients at all levels within the industry, from homeowner to commercial and residential developers, general contractors, subcontractors and manufacturers. Taylor has successfully defended and prosecuted construction related claims involving breach of contract, personal injury, and construction defect. Taylor also utilizes his litigation skills handling pre-litigation claims and lawsuits related to property disputes and losses, including but not limited to water damage and purported violations of conditions, covenants, & restrictions.
Throughout his career, Taylor has handled wrongful death and catastrophic injury claims related to the trucking industry.
Louisiana State University, Bachelor of Science, Finance 2013
Louisiana State University, Paul M. Hebert Law Center, Juris Doctor, 2017
United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
United States District Court for the Central District of California
International Transportation Management Association
Houston Maritime Arbitrators Association
Houston Mariners' Club
Texas Association of Defense Counsel
Construction Bar of Texas